IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH TO MAKE ME HAPPY. A flickering candle, smoldering incense. Delicious food. Good wine. Honorable, passionate people. Dazzling sunsets. Enchanting moonbeams. A sensuous life. Perfect espresso to make the perfect cappuccino. For readers to love my books.

Okay, maybe I need to rephrase that opening thought. New opening thought: I AIM HIGH.


Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Do It For YOU





This is a funky time of year. Winter is... ongoing. Days are... frozen and bleak. And we can begin to feel... not good. All we really want to do is bunker down, stay warm, work on some projects, dream of warm, sandy beaches (or makes plans to travel to one) and eat comfort food. Yeah, its tough right about now.

But join me, won't you please, in trying just these 4 healthy things for you, every day. Do it for YOU. I cannot tell you how much of a difference these 4 things will make in your life. You'll have to see for yourself. Experience the shifts, for yourself.

And then you can write to thank me, tell me all about how amazing this advice was, and send me pretty, shiny things in the mail. KIDDING! (not really)

Ready? Here we go!


1. Hydrate, baby. Over the years, I've taught many spiritual circles, holistic eating and living workshops, meditation groups and positive energy workshops - and I've been amazed at how many people tell me they do not like water.

Listen, my little darlings, it sort of doesn't matter. Your body needs water. Your brain, heart, skin, bones - basically every organ and every fiber of your being, needs just one beverage: WATER.

Make it easy on yourself. Make your water delicious. Pour a pitcher of water every day, add slices of fresh lemon or cucumber to it, and pour a glass every time you think of it. If you want to make me really happy, leave your pitcher of water out and drink it at room temperature. It is much easier to digest and absorb that way. Cold water is actually a shock to your system.

Cucumber slices in water? Oh, yes. Try it. You'll be hooked.

Note: Soda doesn't count. Soda is GARBAGE; diet soda is the worst of all - it is a known carcinogen and it contains a chemical which actually preserves fat cells so you'll continue to buy the "diet" soda. How evil. How big conglomerate. Juices are good if they're pure but they contain too much sugar; dilute them by half. If you really want to make me happy, dilute your pure juices by one third. Meaning: 1/3 juice, 2/3 water. Coffee doesn't count - unless its my favorite drink: soy cappuccino, no sugar, no whip - and then all bets are off as this is actually a healthy coffee drink. Herbal teas are good if you don't add sugar. Basically, there's no getting around it: you must DRINK YOUR WATER.



2. Eat salad for lunch at least three times a week and have soup for dinner at least twice a week. Every one wants to be healthy. Every one wants to be fit. This helps. I swear. I've been living this way for more years than I will cop to publicly. Trust me, here.

Salad for lunch three times a week (or more, if you're into it - hell, I often eat salad for breakfast) and soup for dinner at least twice a week. You'll love the results. *Note: make the soup healthy; no heavy cream of anything, and nothing gross like cheddar-burger soup.

Make this easy on yourself: make a huge salad with lots of cut up fresh vegetables (various kinds of lettuces, cucumbers, peppers, onion, shredded carrot, shredded cabbage, chopped celery, etc.) and keep it refrigerated in a large plastic container. Then you can simply grab a handful or two of salad, put on your healthy dressing and go to town. Make sure you add toppings like seeds, nuts, beans, artichoke hearts or avocado slices when serving, otherwise your salad vegetables will get soggy in the fridge.

*Note: If you really want to make me happy, make your own dressing. Mix 2 TB extra virgin olive oil + 1 tsp lemon juice + a couple shakes of garlic salt and black pepper to taste + 1/2 tsp dried basil, parsley and oregano + 1 TB grated parmesan cheese. Voila! Salad dressing for one.

For the soup, make it easy on yourself by making a pot of healthy soup over the weekend. Then you've got it to enjoy all week. Make sure to use seasonal vegetables; these are high in the nutrients your body needs most during winter.


3. Walk around the block, down the road or through a park at least three times a week. So its cold. So its raining. So what? Bundle up and get out there. The benefits are amazing; you feel alive. You feel good. You feel like you've done something. This gets your seratonin levels up and that energizes you to go do other good stuff.

Walking is an all-over body exercise, rivaled for this title only by swimming. That means if you walk briskly and get your arms into it, walking is a total workout. Walking also gets your lymphatic system going which helps you to release toxins and raises your immunity. Don't forget to take a cup of that lemon or cucumber water with you. *winks*



4. Carve out YOU time to do stuff you love. You must feed your mind and soul. If you don't , it is only a matter of time before your health - mental, emotional and physical - begin to suffer.

What do you love? The art gallery? Seeing movies? Artsy coffee houses? Alone time in the tub with a bag of truffles? Drinks with friends? Reading? Sketching? Squeezing Play-doh?

Make it happen for yourself. Just do it. So you're busy. We're all busy. So you don't have extra money for movies or coffee houses or Play-doh. We're all strapped for cash. Get creative; find a way to feed your mind and soul. Turn your kitchen into an artsy coffee house by making your own cool coffee drink and lighting candles for the consumption time. Borrow your kids' crayons and doodle on printer paper. You get the idea. You can do this if you really want to.

YOU TIME. You need it. You deserve it. Make it happen.


Time to share, my darlings. The above four things really work for me. What works for you?
Holler back. :)

Moonbeams and Luv ~

Photobucket

11 comments:

mean mom productions said...

OMG..i've already started doing this..so has my DH without him knowing it though..

stop by the http://leanmeanbeings.blogspot.com for valentine recipes

Helen said...

I've said it before, I'll say it again, sometimes I log on just to see what's new on your blog and this is why. Just what I needed to hear today. Thanks for always caring and sharing Jo Lynne.

Anonymous said...

Three cheers. Well said. I'm already doing two things on this list and shall add the other two. Good writing.

FernWise said...

LOL - I read this just after finishing my breakfast salad. And soup or salad is always my lunch. This week is 'Chicken clean out the fridge' soup. Next soup will be scotch broth, lots of barley and veggies. Then a lentil/veggie that I made a double batch of and stored half in the freezer for later.

Frondly, Fern

Ben said...

Very motivational. Agreed, this is when we need that extra kick in the pants. Healthy suggestions, most of which I already do. I'm a runner not a walker. Good stuff Jo Lynne. Please keep these blogs coming.

Marisa Birns said...

Yes, I am thanking you right now!

I used to do these things. Such as drinking lots of water and walking. But have neglected them for too long.

And, yes, it made a difference. Was happier, healthier when I did follow the 4 healthy suggestions you offer.

Thanks for the reminder. Need to shake up life and now have first steps!

Ann said...

Here here Jo Lynne. Thanks for the gentle reminder, I had indeed fallen off the track.

I like what FernWise said about her chicken clean out the fridge soup. I need to do that with a bunch of vegetables I have before they go back since no one eats them but me. Any suggestions on how to use some celery, carrots and escarole?

Oh and how is that new book coming? I just finished Becoming Jac! I CRIED WHEN HE WAS IN THE HAUNTED HOUSE! Don't worry I'll not say more, no spoilers from me LOL!!!

Amy Williamson said...

I love water, thats MY drink! I just wrote a blog on flavored (sassy) water and drinking in it's color for the energy of that color. I found some tasty water recipes as well, check it out!
http://www.cocreatingourreality.com/group/colorenergy/forum/topics/drinking-in-color

Sassy Water, oh yeah!

PS, I need to remember to do the other things like eating correctly, exercising etc...

Tina-Sue said...

Advice to live by and love how you told it!

Jemi Fraser said...

Great advice :)

I do well with most, but finding time is tough.

valentine day gifts said...

Have you idea of how design our own valentine gift?. Believe it you have nice chance to impress your girlfriend by giving her special gift. Click here to design your own valentine day gift.