IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH TO MAKE ME HAPPY. A flickering candle, smoldering incense. Delicious food. Good wine. Honorable, passionate people. Dazzling sunsets. Enchanting moonbeams. A sensuous life. Perfect espresso to make the perfect cappuccino. For readers to love my books.

Okay, maybe I need to rephrase that opening thought. New opening thought: I AIM HIGH.


Monday, February 1, 2010

Creating The Right Mindset To WRITE THIS NOVEL



I have a pattern I'm well aware of. Whenever I'm working on something big - such as the launch of a new magazine, for example (I've done that twice) or writing a new book, I get my groove on. I do that by nesting, redecorating and otherwise infusing myself with good vibes.

As readers know, I'm neck deep into a new novel. Two new novels, in fact. One's nearly complete and is with a beta reader; the other is being worked on daily. It was most definitely time for this author to nest and get my groove on.

So last Saturday night, I poured myself a glass of Chardonnay, cranked up the tunes on my Myspace playlist and began to redecorate my bedroom. It was fun. All the while, I was texting back and forth with my buddy Stefan and letting my inner decorator run wild. I'd procured some new items with which to give my bedroom a makeover, and I'd raided the basement for some old stuff I could recycle. Ready to see the outcome? Ta-da!















Above: I wanted strong energetic representation when you walk into my bedroom. So what you see here is a Feng Shui table at the entry to my room. :)

All the elements are represented: the brass crescent moon wind chimes represent Air; the
plant represents Earth; the river rocks and water they're in represent Water; the cinnamon-clove essential oil warmed in the diffuser by a tea lite candle represent Fire.

My little wooden sign says: Dreams Do Come True.


Right: I've had my bedroom set for over a decade but it was time I jazzed it up with a new comforter, pillows and a cheetah throw.

Note: My windows are deliberately treatment free. I cannot bring myself to block a direct view of the rising sun, night time moonbeams, or clouds, rain, stars or snow.





Left: I've got plants on the window sills to either side of my bed so as to increase oxygenation where I sleep. Plants contribute earth energy, too. They also just look pretty there. :)





Right: My bedside table is sort of a big deal to me. On it are some of my favorite crystals and a sign that says something very moving about Passion. :) In the vase: one of my favorite flowers - purple tulips.

Hanging from my lamp is a labradorite pendulum - handy for quick consultations. *winks* Books I'm currently reading are on a
lower shelf.




Right: A shot of my bathroom. Oh, what a surprise: there's a picture featuring a black high heeled pump and a rubber duckie that's cheetah printed with horns. Go figure. :)

I am feeling so good in my newly organized and decorated space. These rooms are my sanctuary. The one area I did not show is the corner where a well stocked bookshelf, lamp, my computer, and vision boards are - that's way too personal to put up on the web. :)

When I come into my bedroom, I am in my own sacred space and that is a beautiful thing. I can write here, sleep here, read in here, text from bed, watch a movie, light candles and incense and gaze at the moon out my window. This my sacred space.

Then, a few days later, my daughter convinced me to take her to the mall. Oh, lordy... Turned out, I needed to feel even more sacred.


Left: That's Bvlgari Jasmine Noir, baby. One of my favorite perfumes! If you haven't smelled it, trust me - it is the definition of sexy. Then I found Dead Sexy, an exotic Asian blend. Oh. My. God. Listen to me. Dead Sexy is right.



Right: And looky here. That's Dior lipstick, baby. The first I've ever owed in my life! I thought - if not now, when? These eye shadows are amazing... They have such cool names! Heaven, Silk Teddy, Nude Beach, Velvet Revolver, Cocoa Puff, Erotica - and my three favorites: Sexpresso, Push-Up and Honey Pot. *winks*


Above: I saw this dress and I pictured myself wearing it for a book signing this spring.
So it came home with me. Look for me - maybe in your town! - signing the new novel,
wearing this little number. :)

After this blog is posted, I'll be working some more on the vision board for the new book. Call me crazy, scoff if you like, but all of the above - the redecorated room, the sexy new fragrances, the glamorous makeup and the hot new dress - get me in the right frame of mind to write this book.

And trust me readers, when you get your hands on your own copy this summer, you'll understand. :) Until then...


Moonbeams and Luv ~

Photobucket

5 comments:

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Your bedroom set is absolutely beautiful. Best of luck with the two new novels. I just completed mine and am thrilled!

Jonny Wade said...

Absolutely Beautiful!! Love the Bedroom... Now that is sexy!! Best wishes with your new novels!! What a Classy Woman!!

Marisa Birns said...

Just gorgeous! You certainly have flair in everything you do.

What an inspiration you are, luv!

Ann said...

Oh goody, what we've all been waiting for, a little peek inside your world behind closed doors LOL. This bedroom suite is just beautiful Jo Lynne and as I suspected you have excellent taste.

Can't wait for this new book, don't forget to let us know when it is available for pre order. Will you be doing advance promotion Jo Lynne?

Huggles, Ann

Jo Lynne Valerie said...

Hey, guys! I'm so glad my little darlings enjoyed taking a peek at my (neat for the pictures) bedroom. :)

Ann, yes, I will be doing some advance promotion for the new book. I'll be sure to let you guys know!

Moonbeams and Luv ~
Jo Lynne